Big Red Bookshelf
The Big Red Bookshelf project provides new or gently-used books to children birth-3rd grade in locations throughout Richland County where families with young children visit.
The donated books are placed on bright red bookshelves built by volunteers and distributed to children who need them free of charge.
Books placed on the shelves have been donated by businesses and community members. This is a great opportunity for churches, businesses, civic organizations, schools, etc. to get involved in the community by helping children appreciate the love of reading.
If you are interested in hosting a book drive, please contact the United Way office at 419-525-2816.
Currently, we have nine bookshelf locations and have distributed over 50,000 books since February 25, 2013.
Bookshelf locations are:
- Bellville Neighborhood Outreach Center (BNOC)
- Lucas Community Center
- Mansfield/Ontario/Richland County Health Dept. – WIC Office
- Mansfield YMCA – Carpenter Child Care
- Mansfield YMCA – Ontario Child Care
- Oak Wood Crossing Greenwich
- Richland County Children Services
- Richland County Child Support
- Richland County Job and Family Services
- Third Street Family Health Services – Shelby Location
We would like to thank the following businesses and organizations for hosting a book drive:
- Mechanics Bank
- OhioHealth Mansfield/Shelby Hospitals
- Ohio State University – Mansfield: Early Childhood Department
- Park National Bank